Sunday, December 18, 2005

In a Winter Wonderland (but dreaming of a sun burnt country)

I realise that being surrounded by the cold and snow at Christmas makes all of the carols with their talk of sleighs and reindeer and snow make sense, but it just doesn't feel quite right. It's difficult to not feel the Christmas spirit with the enormous tree up at my department at uni and being forced to listen to George Michael's heart-renching tale of giving his heart away at every shop I venture into, but my heart just wasn't in it.

Until today. The Christmas spirit came to me while I was sitting in my too-warm room (from the heater) and decided to have a listen to the cricket over the radio. Being hot and listening to the familiar voices droning on about test statistics was just the ticket.

My corridor had collectively decided to chop down a tree in the cover of darkness (apparently it's 'tradition' to steal your tree) but as the execution of this grand plan proved difficult we then thought to buy a tree. Well, it's now a week to go and we still haven't done this either, though I got up this morning and found a surprise in the lounge room. A lot of pieces of white paper have been stuck on the wall, and a big green Christmas tree has been drawn on them. Lots of balls and decorations have also been drawn and cut out, to be stuck on later today. Being the tight-arse student that I am, I applaud this idea. Plus it's super easy to take down after Christmas. No more leaving the tree up until Easter as you can't be arsed putting it away...just rip the paper off and chuck it in the recycling! Mind you, given the collective cleaning skills of this corridor they will probably be up there for some time. It was quite funny when Stella suggested her idea of getting a tree for the corridor to one of the more cleanliness-challenged members of our fair corridor and his first thought was to ask who was going to clean it up afterwards. Of course we felt like saying "obviously not you, you dirty slob" but bit our tongues to keep the peace.

I'm heading off to England on Friday to spend Christmas with my family and New Years with Kate. This may well be my last post before I leave, so I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home