Sunday, September 04, 2005

Wahhhh *sniff*

I'm sick. A full-on, no holds barred head cold. One of those ones that people solemnly tell you took them weeks to get over. And wouldn't you know, buying a box of tissues in this country is about as difficult as buying well, cold and flu tablets. Someone knows someone who buys them, but they can't remember where they buy them from. A box of tissues! What do they do when they're sick?! This cold goes way beyond the bounds of a hanky or two.

To buy any sort of medicinal product, you have to go to Apoteket, which is similar to Systembolaget in that you cannot buy pharmaceuticals from anywhere else. And of course they aren't open on sundays, as people don't get sick on sundays. So I had to cycle to the hospital, a round trip of an hour, to go to the apoteket there as it's the only one open on sunday. They don't sell cold & flu medication, so I have to make do with some sort of natural sinus relief stuff that I don't know what consists of as it is all written in swedish.

I have to admit that I'm feeling pretty homesick at the moment. Being sick will do it to you I'm sure.

On a happier note, I received an email yesterday detailing the trips to Russia that are organised each year for exchange students in Sweden. There are three trips, going to either St Petersburg, St Petersburg and Moscow, or St Petersberg, Moscow and Helsinki. I would love to go to Moscow but that those trips take longer, obviously, and as these are during semester I'm a bit nervous about missing too many classes. Plus they are more expensive. So I think I will put my name down for the St Petersburg trip. Every time I think of the trip I picture those big furry Russian hats. I'll be most disappointed if I don't see one when I'm there.

Happy Father's Day!

1 Comments:

At 8:21 am, Blogger Tim said...

Ahhh ya poor thing. Just look at it as character building ;)

Speaking of colds, I heard an interesting point: people don't get sick from cold weather, it is from being indoors a lot more. Makes sense!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home